The theme of the Symposium will be “World War I – A Hundred Years On”, as the year 2014 marks the 100th anniversary of the beginning of the first global conflict.
Topics of interest for the Symposium include, but are not limited to:
- Film production and exhibition between 1914 – 1918
- Including propaganda, censorship, reception, technological innovations, etc.
- Filmic representation of the conflict throughout the last century
- Including modern interpretations, repurposing of original material, different language versions, etc.
- The ‘legacy’ of the war
- Preservation, cataloguing and documentation of WWI film and non-film (stills, posters, etc) collections.
- Modern Interpretation of the conflict and related outreach work
- Digitization, programming, current projects (including collaborative and regional ones such as EFG1914), etc.
The Symposium’s Scientific Committee will supervise a number of chaired panels on the basis of the papers received and selected.
We encourage contributions from colleagues in film archives and cinémathèques, university scholars and other experts around the world. Proposals should be formulated in English, French or Spanish and sent to the following addresses:
Deadline for the submission of abstracts: Monday, January 6, 2014
Notification of acceptance: Monday, January 20, 2014